Copy pictures from Iphone to Mac computer

Fokke Nauta

Jul 30, 2021, 3:16:56 AM7/30/21
Hi all,

A friend of mine has an Iphone and a Mac computer. She wants to copy
pictures from the Iphone to her Mac computer. How does this work with
these Apple components?

Thanks in advance.

Fokke

Your Name

Jul 30, 2021, 3:36:42 AM7/30/21
Numerous ways ... in order of ease for novices:

1. Email the photo to yourself from the iPhone and retrieve
the email on the Mac.

2. Plug the iPhone into the Mac with an appropriate cable
(usually the one that comes with the iPhone, but Apple
has stupidly stopped including power adapators!).
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302>

3. Use iCloud by signing both devices into the same AppleID
account. (Need to be very careful about deleting photos
though - delete from one device and it will be deleted
from them all!)

4. Various transfer apps on the App Store which use
Bluetooth or wi-fi.

Fokke Nauta

Jul 30, 2021, 3:54:46 AM7/30/21
Thanks very much.
I think item 2 is the most easy way to do it. And thanks for the link.
She will now be able to copy her pictures.

Fokke

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 30, 2021, 4:34:03 AM7/30/21
Am 30.07.21 um 09:53 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
> Thanks very much.
> I think item 2 is the most easy way to do it. And thanks for the link.
> She will now be able to copy her pictures.

The easiest way is via iCloud in a Wifi-network. Synchronisation is done
automatically if wanted. No further action needed.

1. Plug the iPhone into the Mac with the cable delivered by Apple.
2. Open the Finder
3. Check whether Photos are synced with the iCloud
4. If not: Settings - Apple ID - activate that Photos uses the iCloud.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Chris

Jul 30, 2021, 5:23:57 AM7/30/21
Note that this doesn't work if she's using iCloud photos. Then 3 seems
to be the only option.

Savageduck

Jul 30, 2021, 6:19:57 AM7/30/21
On Jul 30, 2021, Your Name wrote
(in article <se0a68$73e$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):
There is also the simplest of all for transfer of any files between Apple devices, AirDrop.
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106>
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144>

--
Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 7:07:57 AM7/30/21
In article <imhnb6...@mid.individual.net>, Fokke Nauta
<use...@solfon.nl> wrote:

> A friend of mine has an Iphone and a Mac computer. She wants to copy
> pictures from the Iphone to her Mac computer. How does this work with
> these Apple components?

automatically with icloud photos.

automatically or manually by connecting via usb.

manually and wirelessly via airdrop.

Lewis

Jul 30, 2021, 10:21:31 AM7/30/21
Automatically with wifi sync.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Yes, but why does the chicken cross the road, huh, if not for love?

Lewis

Jul 30, 2021, 10:24:58 AM7/30/21
In message <se0a68$73e$1...@gioia.aioe.org> Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-30 07:15:29 +0000, Fokke Nauta said:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine has an Iphone and a Mac computer. She wants to copy
>> pictures from the Iphone to her Mac computer. How does this work with
>> these Apple components?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Fokke

> Numerous ways ... in order of ease for novices:

> 1. Email the photo to yourself from the iPhone and retrieve
> the email on the Mac.

No, this is a terrible method and you may lose the EXIF metadata
(location, camera setting, etc). In addition, you will only be able to
send a few photos at a time.

> 2. Plug the iPhone into the Mac with an appropriate cable
> (usually the one that comes with the iPhone, but Apple
> has stupidly stopped including power adapators!).
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302>

> 3. Use iCloud by signing both devices into the same AppleID
> account. (Need to be very careful about deleting photos
> though - delete from one device and it will be deleted
> from them all!)

> 4. Various transfer apps on the App Store which use
> Bluetooth or wi-fi.

No. These apps will have access to all your photos and you have no idea
what they are doing with them. There are numerous methods without
involving third parties.

The simplest method is yo set your phone up to use iCloud sync. Second
is to set your phone up to use wifi sync. Third is a cable.

--
He felt as if he'd been shipwrecked on the Titanic but in the nick of
time had been rescued. By the Lusitania.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 12:44:07 PM7/30/21
Your Name wrote on 30.07.2021 09:36
> Numerous ways ... in order of ease for novices:
> 1. Email the photo to yourself from the iPhone and retrieve
> the email on the Mac.

While it's nice that "Your Name" is purposefully helpfully assisting the OP,
if it's more than just a couple of photos, I can't see email being useful.

Besides, there's never a reason to put your private data on the Internet.

> 2. Plug the iPhone into the Mac with an appropriate cable
> (usually the one that comes with the iPhone, but Apple
> has stupidly stopped including power adapators!).
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302>

For a Mac, this will work only if iCloud isn't already set up for photos.

Worse, this simplest (and most logical) of solutions doesn't work on Windows
because Apple products don't ever work well in the real world outside Apple.

For Windows, the user would have to add hundreds of megabytes of insecure
untested iTunes bloatware just so they can transfer photos to the PC.

> 3. Use iCloud by signing both devices into the same AppleID
> account. (Need to be very careful about deleting photos
> though - delete from one device and it will be deleted
> from them all!)

To use the Internet for something _that_ simple, is just idiotic.

> 4. Various transfer apps on the App Store which use
> Bluetooth or wi-fi.

Once nospam sees the word "Bluetooth" for transferring photos, he'll tell
you what he thinks about the speed, although the Wi-Fi answer is a good one.

AirDrop is most likely the simplest method given the problems that Apple has
with transferring photos over Wi-Fi depending on how the iCloud is set up.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,

Fokke Nauta

Jul 30, 2021, 1:03:26 PM7/30/21
She doesn't use iCloud.

Fokke

Fokke Nauta

Jul 30, 2021, 1:06:46 PM7/30/21
Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.

Fokke

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 1:22:05 PM7/30/21
In article <slrnsg82to....@m1mini.local>, Lewis
<g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> > Numerous ways ... in order of ease for novices:
>
> > 1. Email the photo to yourself from the iPhone and retrieve
> > the email on the Mac.
>
> No, this is a terrible method and you may lose the EXIF metadata
> (location, camera setting, etc). In addition, you will only be able to
> send a few photos at a time.

it also might 'optimize' the photo for email, which means downsize it.

that might be useful when actually emailing it to someone, but it's
definitely *not* desirable when transferring photos.

> The simplest method is yo set your phone up to use iCloud sync. Second
> is to set your phone up to use wifi sync. Third is a cable.

yep.

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 1:22:06 PM7/30/21
In article <imipt4...@mid.individual.net>, Fokke Nauta
<use...@solfon.nl> wrote:

> On 30/07/2021 18:44, paul wrote:
>

> Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.

'paul' knows absolutely nothing about macs or iphones and serves only
to troll, and your friend *does* use icloud to some extent, as it's
part of mac os and ios. there is no reason not to use it if it solves
the problem, although there are also cabled solutions.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 1:33:18 PM7/30/21
Fokke Nauta wrote on 30.07.2021 19:05
> Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.

That makes sense because, for a bunch of reasons, the iCloud is the worst
place to store your personal private data, not the least of which is that
the Internet is the worst place to store all your private data anyway.

Especially since the iCloud is only encrypted in advertising bullshit.

BTW, another reason to not store your personal data on the iCloud is the
puny size of what Apple provides people. For example, I have a few iPads
where I had initially left them at the iCloud defaults after initial setup,
but within about a month, I was getting nags about my 5GB, so I turned it
off myself (plus I don't believe in storing personal data on the Internet).

As was with me, for many people, the puny 5GB Apple iCloud provides isn't
enough to hold even a month's worth of their personal data, which isn't even
encrypted it turns out (and which Apple gladly hands over, unencrypted).

REFERENCE:
iCloud backups are NOT encrypted, by JF Mezei, June 21, 2020
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-EA9TYUeVhk>

What irks me is people _believe_ iCloud data is safe but clearly it's not.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-EA9TYUeVhk/m/WQdemphmBwAJ>

It's great that you found a solution in using the USB and direct transfer
using native apps on her Mac, which seems to be a sensible solution for her.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 1:36:19 PM7/30/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 19:22
> 'paul' knows absolutely nothing about macs or iphones and serves only
> to troll

What did I purposefully helpfully advise the OP that you feel was incorrect?

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 1:40:18 PM7/30/21
In article <se1d4r$1obq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> > Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.
>
> That makes sense because, for a bunch of reasons, the iCloud is the worst
> place to store your personal private data, not the least of which is that
> the Internet is the worst place to store all your private data anyway.

nonsense.

> Especially since the iCloud is only encrypted in advertising bullshit.

nonsense.

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 1:40:19 PM7/30/21
In article <se1dah$1qhk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> What did I purposefully helpfully advise the OP that you feel was incorrect?

all you did was rant and troll. that is not in any way helpful.

just about everything you say is incorrect. once in a rare while and
entirely unintentionally, you might say something that's true, but
that's the exception, not the rule.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 1:49:37 PM7/30/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 19:40
> all you did was rant and troll. that is not in any way helpful.

The fact is I provided an analysis of every option which was suggested
in the post that I was responding to, adding new detail that is important
and which wasn't in the post that I was responding to (from Your Name).

> just about everything you say is incorrect.

And yet, you still can't find a _single_ fact I've stated that is wrong.

> once in a rare while and
> entirely unintentionally, you might say something that's true, but
> that's the exception, not the rule.

And yet you claim I rant and troll when you just did that in spades.
--
At least I was both purposefully helpful and correct in advising the OP.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 2:04:10 PM7/30/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 19:40
>> Especially since the iCloud is only encrypted in advertising bullshit.
>
> nonsense.

Facts.

*Apple dropped plan for encrypting backups*
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-fbi-icloud-exclusive/exclusive-apple-dropped-plan-for-encrypting-backups-after-fbi-complained-sources-idUSKBN1ZK1CT>

*Apple shared customer data with US government in a record-high 90% of cases*
<https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-complies-percent-us-government-requests-customer-data-2020-1>

*Apple dumped plan to fully lockup iCloud*
<https://www.techspot.com/news/83639-apple-dumped-plan-fully-lockup-icloud-backups-fbi.html>

*Your iPhone Is Not as Secure as You Think*
<https://www.eauclairecriminaldefense.com/apple-can-scan-pictures-that-you-upload-to-icloud>

*If you back up your iPhone to Apple's iCloud, the government can get it*
<https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/24/21133600/police-fbi-phone-search-protests-password-rights>

*Report says Apple compromised iCloud for the Chinese government*
<https://www.digitalinformationworld.com/2021/05/a-new-report-claiming-that-apple-has.htm>
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/technology/apple-china-censorship-data.html>

*How Apple Gave Chinese Government Access to iCloud Data*
<https://thehackernews.com/2021/05/how-apple-gave-chinese-government.html>

*Apple's unholy compromises in China*
<https://fortune.com/2021/05/18/apple-icloud-data-china/>

*Apple Gave FBI iCloud Data*
<https://www.thedailybeast.com/apple-gave-fbi-icloud-info-for-george-floyd-protester-accused-of-torching-cop-cars>

*Apple also gave investigators details of Alam's iCloud account*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/04/02/capitol-siege-arrests-technology-fbi-privacy/>

*Apple has given the feds vital evidence from one of its iCloud users*
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2020/09/16/apple-helps-fbi-track-down-george-floyd-protester-accused-of-firebombing-cop-cars/>

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 2:15:33 PM7/30/21
In article <se1euj$kso$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> *Apple dropped plan for encrypting backups*

backups aren't the topic.

> *Your iPhone Is Not as Secure as You Think*

nothing is.

that's also irrelevant to the topic.

like i said, you're trolling.

> *If you back up your iPhone to Apple's iCloud, the government can get it*

they can get it if you back up locally too.

the answer is to encrypt it, another topic you do not understand.

> *Report says Apple compromised iCloud for the Chinese government*

they didn't compromise anything. what they did was keep the data of
chinese users in china, as per china's laws. those outside china are
unaffected.

companies are required to follow china's laws to do business in china.

> *Apple Gave FBI iCloud Data*

all companies would do the same, including google and microsoft. they
have to.

you are deliberately trolling with your anti-apple bullshit, ignoring
that *every* company does the same or very similar.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 3:42:48 PM7/30/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 20:15
> you are deliberately trolling with your anti-apple bullshit, ignoring
> that *every* company does the same or very similar.

In your desperation to blame all Apple's faults on everyone but Apple...

When you claim Apple is as bad as everyone else, I actually agree with you.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 3:49:19 PM7/30/21
Jolly Roger wrote on 30.07.2021 21:20
> Hobbling these devices like that is just plain silly.

Why doesn't she just save the data to her iPhone sdcard & pop it in the Mac?

Oh, wait. Forget that. It's an iPhone.

*Hobbling all iPhones by eliminating storage options is just plain silly.*
--
People suggest she use the iCloud in order to move her private files 3 feet.

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 3:59:26 PM7/30/21
In article <se1l3s$1g0d$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> Why doesn't she just save the data to her iPhone sdcard & pop it in the Mac?

trolling.

also because that's a highly inefficient method for phones that do have
an sd card slot.

paul

Jul 30, 2021, 5:23:47 PM7/30/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 21:59
> also because that's a highly inefficient method for phones that do have
> an sd card slot.

In other words, Apple makes money off you by removing common basic standard
functionality so you have to use Apple proprietary methods to get it back.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 30, 2021, 5:26:58 PM7/30/21
Am 30.07.21 um 19:02 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
I seriously doubt this. Did you ever use an iPhone or an iPad and are
you sure you know enough to help your friend with an iOS-device?

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 30, 2021, 5:29:46 PM7/30/21
Am 30.07.21 um 21:59 schrieb nospam:
In the era of Gbit/s connections this is even extremely unsecure and an
inefficient way to handle data.

SD-cards are the same stoneage-technology as CDs or DVDs.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 30, 2021, 5:33:55 PM7/30/21
Am 30.07.21 um 19:05 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
> Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.

Then tell her to do so. And again: She almost certainly uses iCloud
without being aware of the fact.

> Fokke

Are you trying to troll here?

nospam

Jul 30, 2021, 5:37:24 PM7/30/21
In article <se1qks$1q7q$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> > also because that's a highly inefficient method for phones that do have
> > an sd card slot.
>
> In other words, Apple makes money off you by removing common basic standard
> functionality so you have to use Apple proprietary methods to get it back.

in other words, you're still trolling.

there is nothing proprietary about wifi or usb.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 30, 2021, 5:37:35 PM7/30/21
Am 30.07.21 um 19:36 schrieb paul:
You admitted that you are still not capable to getting the SD-card out
of the iPhone ... *SCNR*

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 12:54:41 AM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 30.07.2021 23:37
> there is nothing proprietary about wifi or usb.

Outside the proprietary walled garden Apple file transfer is a clusterfuck.

Search for how to copy files _both ways!_ to/from iOS & Windows, nospam.
Then read the _first_ sentence of this article, nospam, to get the truth.
*Top 5 Apps to Trans­fer Files From iOS to PC Using Wi-Fi*
<https://www.guidingtech.com/transfer-files-ios-pc-wi-fi/>
"Apple doesn't play nice with other operating systems like Windows
or even Android. One common complaint is the lack of a native way
to transfer files from iOS to Windows PC using Wi-Fi."

You can bullshit the moron Apple owners who don't own Android or Windows.
But I've been using Apple proprietary devices since the iPod days, nospam.

*Copying files outside Apple's proprietary walled garden is a clusterfuck.*
<https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/transfer-files-iphone-computer-iphf2d851b9/ios>

Android file copy (both ways!) just works.

Meanwhile, let's see you try to copy files (both ways!) between the iPhone &
Windows over USB _without_ adding hundreds upon hundred of megabytes of
almost completely untested horrid Apple bloatware, nospam.

And even then it's impossible to do what you can easily do with Android.
Or Linux (which works better than even Windows does for two-way copy).

Outside the proprietary walled garden Apple file transfer is a clusterfuck.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 1:01:02 AM7/31/21
Joerg Lorenz wrote on 30.07.2021 23:29
> SD-cards are the same stoneage-technology as CDs or DVDs.

Apple's business plan is to remove basic functionality so you buy it back.

With an sdcard, for example, I can easily populate any number of Android
phones with every single app (the _exact_ version!) from one phone to
another (any phone on the planet with a common standard sdslot) and every
single private file *_without_ ever putting private data on the Internet!*

By way of proof that the Apple methods are a dysfunctional clusterfuck,
how would you do something as simple as that using your Apple clusterfuck?

Hint: You can't.
Almost everything we do daily on Android, is literally impossible with iOS.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are all selectively ignorant of all facts about Apple they hate.

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 1:27:50 AM7/31/21
In article <se2l2e$1o8e$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> Search for how to copy files _both ways!_ to/from iOS & Windows.

search for the earth is flat.

just because you found a web page that fits your narrative doesn't mean
it's correct.

> Then read the _first_ sentence of this article, nospam, to get the truth.
> *Top 5 Apps to TransGer Files From iOS to PC Using Wi-Fi*
> <https://www.guidingtech.com/transfer-files-ios-pc-wi-fi/>
> "Apple doesn't play nice with other operating systems like Windows
> or even Android. One common complaint is the lack of a native way
> to transfer files from iOS to Windows PC using Wi-Fi."

it may be a 'common complaint', but it's baseless

the fact is that its trivial to copy files between ios devices and any
other computer platform or operating system, local or remote, wired or
wirelessly.

it's also a web site that makes money from ignorant people downloading
crapware they don't need, so obviously they are going to make it sound
harder than it really is to maximize their revenue from idiots like
yourself who don't know any better.

this has all been explained to you many times, but you continue to
troll and annoy everyone.

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 1:27:52 AM7/31/21
In article <se2lec$1rcc$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> Apple's business plan is to remove basic functionality so you buy it back.

yep, you really are that stupid.

> With an sdcard, for example, I can easily populate any number of Android
> phones with every single app (the _exact_ version!) from one phone to
> another (any phone on the planet with a common standard sdslot) and every
> single private file *_without_ ever putting private data on the Internet!*

that is *very* easy to do with ios, even with your stupid paranoid
ignorant restriction of not using the internet.

companies configure their employee's phones *without* sd cards, which
would be insanity if they had to go around to each employee and
configure their phone.

all you know is sd card. you are blind to anything else and refuse to
learn.

> By way of proof that the Apple methods are a dysfunctional clusterfuck,
> how would you do something as simple as that using your Apple clusterfuck?
>
> Hint: You can't.

*you* can't because you are stupid as can be.

everyone *else* can.

just not you.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 1:57:26 AM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 07:27
>> Apple's business plan is to remove basic functionality so you buy it back.
>
> yep, you really are that stupid.

Actually, I'm far more educated than you are nospam, and from the finest
schools on this planet, nospam, which makes me likely better educated than
anyone else is on this newsgroup, where I have plenty of marketing &
economics classes (in addition to the engineering & sciences).

You are the one who is ignorant of Apple's (brilliant) business strategy.
*Apple's business strategy is to remove functionality so people buy it back.*

HINT: Do you really think Apple removed the charger for the environment?
(If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.)

> that is *very* easy to do with ios, even with your stupid paranoid
> ignorant restriction of not using the internet.

Bearing in mind the iCloud is NOT encrypted, why would you ever _need_ to
put your personal data on the Internet just to move it three feet at home?

> all you know is sd card. you are blind to anything else and refuse to
> learn.

What you don't understand is Apple doesn't provide you with basic
non-proprietary hardware in order to lock you into using their proprietary
solutions.

While an sdcard clearly adds functionality to Android phones that have them
tell us, nospam, what's the _drawback_ of having the choice of sd cards?

Hint: You can't.

> everyone *else* can.
> just not you.

And yet, you _never_ come up with this mythical magical method, nospam.

Why not?
Because you incessantly fabricate wholly imaginary iOS functionality.

Why?
I don't know why.

I suspect you simply _hate_ that outside the walled garden iOS file transfer
(both ways!) and app backup/restore (to any phone!) is a clusterfuck.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are all apologists who _hate_ all facts about Apple products.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 1:57:29 AM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 07:27
> the fact is that its trivial to copy files between ios devices and any
> other computer platform or operating system, local or remote, wired or
> wirelessly.

*And yet, you _always_ fail to name how you do it.*

Tell us then, nospam, how you would do something as simple as populate _any_
phone with _every_ app (the exact version, whether or not it exists in the
app store) and every personal file putting each of them in _exactly_ the
same path on the new phones as they were in the old phones _without_ putting
any of your personal data on the Internet - using your Apple clusterfuck.

Tell us, nospam.

HINT: It's _impossible_ with Apple's proprietary walled garden clusterfuck.
And yet, anyone can _easily_ do it every day, all day, with Android/Windows.

> this has all been explained to you many times

*And yet, you _always_ fail to name how you do it.*

Why?
Because it's impossible even _with_ the Apple clusterfuck methods.

Yet, we easily do it all day, every day, on Android & Windows/Linux.
Without putting a single app or personal file on the Internet, nospam.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are ignorant Apple products don't work outside the walled garden.

Connor Shannon

Jul 31, 2021, 2:36:12 AM7/31/21
On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 1:34:03 AM UTC-7, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 30.07.21 um 09:53 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
> > Thanks very much.
> > I think item 2 is the most easy way to do it. And thanks for the link.
> > She will now be able to copy her pictures.
> The easiest way is via iCloud in a Wifi-network. Synchronisation is done
> automatically if wanted. No further action needed.
>
> 1. Plug the iPhone into the Mac with the cable delivered by Apple.
> 2. Open the Finder
> 3. Check whether Photos are synced with the iCloud
> 4. If not: Settings - Apple ID - activate that Photos uses the iCloud.
>

> --
> De gustibus non est disputandum

Why would you need to plug the iphone into a Mac for iCloud??? And why would you check for them in Finder instead of in iCloud with your browser where you can actually see them?

I just take pictures on my iPhone and then they go to iCloud over my WiFi and then I can see them on my Mac. No cable.

p.s. I agree with the person who listed AirDrop. That's handy too. But if you have iCloud set up its automatic and you don't have to use AirDrop. I just use AirDrop to share pix with friends.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 31, 2021, 3:44:44 AM7/31/21
Am 31.07.21 um 07:57 schrieb paul:
> nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 07:27
>>> Apple's business plan is to remove basic functionality so you buy it back.
>>
>> yep, you really are that stupid.
>
> Actually, I'm far more educated than you are nospam, and from the finest
> schools on this planet, nospam, which makes me likely better educated than
> anyone else is on this newsgroup, where I have plenty of marketing &
> economics classes (in addition to the engineering & sciences).

You are very brilliant in hiding that!
And btw: I do not believe one word of what you say.
Educated and adult people would never stipulate such ridiculous claims.
You have absolutely no clue what the background of other NG-members is.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 4:09:59 AM7/31/21
Joerg Lorenz wrote on 31.07.2021 09:44
> And btw: I do not believe one word of what you say.

Haven't you ever wondered why you apologists have _never_ found even a
single fact I've ever stated on this newsgroup to ever be found wrong?

The reason is that I can understand complex facts; you apologists can't.

All you apologists know is what Apple MARKETING has fed you to believe.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are cultists whose belief systems are driven purely by MARKETING.

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 9:33:36 AM7/31/21
In article <se2oo2$p8h$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> Actually, I'm far more educated than you are nospam, and from the finest
> schools on this planet,

you need to request a refund. you learned nothing. it was a complete
waste of time and money.

> I suspect you simply _hate_ that outside the walled garden iOS file transfer
> (both ways!) and app backup/restore (to any phone!) is a clusterfuck.

it's impossible to hate something that does not exist.

on the other hand, it is very possible to hate an idiot troll who
consistently lies about everything.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 11:03:11 AM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 15:33
> on the other hand, it is very possible to hate an idiot troll who
> consistently lies about everything.

Why don't you tell us then, nospam, how you can do it with an iPhone.

Outside Apple we _easily_ do it every day, using Android with Windows.

With iOS, it's impossible (which is why you fabricated the functionality).
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are all exceptionally contemptible people worthy of no respect.

sms

Jul 31, 2021, 11:11:34 AM7/31/21
On 7/30/2021 11:36 PM, Connor Shannon wrote:

<snip>

> p.s. I agree with the person who listed AirDrop. That's handy too. But if you have iCloud set up its automatic and you don't have to use AirDrop. I just use AirDrop to share pix with friends.

Just be careful who you Airdrop to...

<https://www.newsweek.com/plane-evacuated-searched-after-teen-airdrops-photo-airsoft-https://www.newsweek.com/plane-evacuated-searched-after-teen-airdrops-photo-airsoft-gun-other-passengers-1612667gun-other-passengers-1612667>

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 12:28:34 PM7/31/21
In article <se3ond$blk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> With iOS, it's impossible (which is why you fabricated the functionality).

go away. forever.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 31, 2021, 2:40:45 PM7/31/21
Am 31.07.21 um 19:55 schrieb Jolly Roger:
> "People who boast about their IQ are losers." ~ Steven Hawking

+1

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 31, 2021, 2:41:35 PM7/31/21
Am 31.07.21 um 18:28 schrieb nospam:
He will as soon as you stop feeding him.

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 2:46:47 PM7/31/21
In article <se45gu$rgr$2...@dont-email.me>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> > In article <se3ond$blk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
> >>

> > go away. forever.
>

> He will as soon as you stop feeding him.

no he won't, so might as well give him what he dishes out.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 2:54:06 PM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 18:28
>> With iOS, it's impossible (which is why you fabricated the functionality).
>
> go away. forever.

It's noteworthy apologists have no _adult_ response to facts they don't like.

Apologists are _desperate_ to ignore all facts that easily explain exactly
why iOS apps will always lack the app functionality of Android apps.

FACT:
There are many app functionalities on Android that are _impossible_ on iOS.

Why?
*Apple limits the functionality the market provides (while Google can't).*

The logical reason iOS will always lack functionality is that simple.
The only people who don't know that fact, are these ignorant apologists.
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., believe only what Apple says on its (admittedly brilliant) web site.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 2:55:36 PM7/31/21
Joerg Lorenz wrote on 31.07.2021 20:41
> He will as soon as you stop feeding him.

My job here is to tell the truth about Apple, so if I go away you lose that.

Do you _really_ want to lose all vestige of truth about Apple on this ng?
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., believe only what Apple says and are ignorant of what Apple does.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 2:58:09 PM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 20:46
> no he won't, so might as well give him what he dishes out.

It's correct that nospam understands my job here is to provide truth.

The only way I will ever go away, is when all the apologists do.
Otherwise, my job here is to provide balanced facts about Apple products.

*If you don't like facts about Apple products, _you_ can just "go away".*
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., hate that Apple products can't do even the simplest of tasks.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 3:12:50 PM7/31/21
Jolly Roger wrote on 31.07.2021 19:58
> If you knew anything about AirDrop you would know that's not something
> anyone does by accident.

The question really is _why_ are apologists so desperate to defend Apple?

Unlike the apologists who often don't even click on the links before
brazenly denying any facts in them about Apple must always be wrong...

I clicked on the link (dated 7/23/2021) which Steve had provided.
*Plane Evacuated, Searched After Teen Airdrops Photo*
*of Airsoft Gun to Other Passengers*
<https://www.newsweek.com/plane-evacuated-searched-after-teen-airdrops-photo-airsoft-gun-other-passengers-1612667gun-other-passengers-1612667>

Given the cultist apologists didn't even _read_ the cite before desperately
trying to absolve Apple of all possible faults, this is the 1st sentence:
"A plane at the San Francisco International Airport was cleared of its
passengers and searched Thursday after *some of the passengers said*
they received an unsolicited photo of an airsoft gun."

Fact:
a. The plane at SFO was evacuated.
b. Passengers said they received an unsolicited photo of an airsoft gun.
c. Beale (a radio host) said a teen sent them through AirDrop.

Fact:
a. What Steve said was "Just be careful who[m] you Airdop to..."
b. Beale said the "the flight was held on the tarmac due to... a prank."
c. The Airport Commission confirmed the details Beale provided.

Notice how the apologists desperately _reacted_ to all these simple facts.
(Without actually ever even _reading_ the article that Steve cited!)

What Steve said seems to be perfectly correct, even as the apologists, as
always being _desperate_ to absolve Apple of all possible faults, went off
on the tangent (by way of excusing Apple) that it was no accident.

Fact:
a. Steve never said it was an accident (he only said to be careful).
b. The inappropriate photo _was_ sent by Airdrop.
c. The teen wasn't careful enough about who[m] he Airdrop'd to.

Seems to me, an adult who actually clicked on the link Steve provided,
that what Steve said was completely in tune with what the cite claimed.

The question really is _why_ are apologists so desperate to defend Apple?
--
Alan Baker, Bob Campbell, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al., are so shallow that they can't even click on the links in cites!

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 5:30:41 PM7/31/21
In article <se46b6$ru5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> My job here is to lie about Apple, so if I go away you lose that.

ftfy

> Do you _really_ want to lose all vestige of me on this ng?

ftfy and yes

nospam

Jul 31, 2021, 5:30:42 PM7/31/21
In article <se46fv$ue1$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> It's correct that nospam understands my job here is to provide trolling.

ftfy

> The only way I will ever go away, is when I die.

ftfy and that can be arranged.

> Otherwise, my job here is to provide nothing but bullshit.

ftfy

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 5:40:39 PM7/31/21
Jolly Roger wrote on 31.07.2021 22:13
> Which is exactly what I said - it wasn't done by accident.

FACTS:
1. Adults will notice Steve never said it was an accident.
2. And neither did I.
3. The news didn't say that either.

Yet, without even _clicking_ on Steve's cite, you brazenly decreed:

"If you knew anything about AirDrop you would know that's not something
anyone does by accident. Clearly, you don't care about adding anything
helpful to the discussion as long as you score your little immature
troll points."

Given _nobody_ (but you) assumed it was said to be an "accident", adults
will notice that it was actually _you_ who tried to make your troll points.

Why did you even bring it up if _nobody_ but you thought it was an accident?
Because... troll.

paul

Jul 31, 2021, 5:49:52 PM7/31/21
nospam wrote on 31.07.2021 23:30
>> The only way I will ever go away, is when I die.
>
> ftfy and that can be arranged.

Anyone who threatens someone's life just because they have no valid response
to facts is a despicable person who deserves no respect and who should be
tracked down, arrested, convicted, & punished to the full extent of the law.

Death threats are not a joke.
Death threats will be taken seriously in all cases.

You can't take back what you say when it's a death threat.
Do NOT respond to this post unless you wish to escalate this further.

I will report to the FBI and to your local police any threats you post.
Where possible, I will also provide info to your mail & nntp server admins.

I have done this in the past, and I will do it again.
This is not a bluff.

JF Mezei

Aug 1, 2021, 6:27:52 PM8/1/21
On 2021-07-30 03:15, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine has an Iphone and a Mac computer. She wants to copy
> pictures from the Iphone to her Mac computer. How does this work with
> these Apple components?

Plug iPhone in, authenticale on iPhone (unlock it with FaceID or
password), and use one of many apps that can import from a Camera.

Simplest is Preview. File -> Import from <name of iPhone> iPhone

These will drop .JPEG files into a directory/folder you specify.
There is the Photos app that will import the fancy file formats and
allow you to better manage photos , create more folders, (and a phoen
could belong to multiple folders) etc etc.

Another way: use iMessage to send photo to yourself on iPhone, and use
Messages on Mac to get photo. (and you can do that in reverse direction
as well).

JF Mezei

Aug 1, 2021, 6:31:45 PM8/1/21
On 2021-07-30 12:44, paul wrote:

> Worse, this simplest (and most logical) of solutions doesn't work on Windows
> because Apple products don't ever work well in the real world outside Apple.

iPhone appears as a camera and uses the USB camera protocol for photo
exchange. There are a couple of additions to get the iPhone to transmit
the properitary HVEC format instead of JPEG/MOV but if the destination
doesn't support those comands,, the iPhone automatically converts the
photos to standard JPG and MOV formats.

JF Mezei

Aug 1, 2021, 6:36:42 PM8/1/21
On 2021-07-30 13:22, nospam wrote:

>> No, this is a terrible method and you may lose the EXIF metadata
>> (location, camera setting, etc). In addition, you will only be able to
>> send a few photos at a time.
>
> it also might 'optimize' the photo for email, which means downsize it.

Just checked. If in IOS MAIL, you click on the image icon, thens elect
an image, include it in email. at time of sending, you are asked what
size you wish to send. You can send "large" and the received image is
same size as original and contains all its exif data.

And it is the JPG version of image sent.

Ant

Aug 2, 2021, 12:16:32 AM8/2/21
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Simplest is Preview. File -> Import from <name of iPhone> iPhone

Why not use Photos app to import since Apple includes it in its macOS?
--
2021 is repeating 2020. :( Please get your vaccine shot(s) if you haven't done so! :)
| |o o| |

Connor Shannon

Aug 2, 2021, 12:40:09 AM8/2/21
I'm not so stupid to let just anyone Airdrop to my iPhone. And I only send pix to friends who are standing right next to me.

JF Mezei

Aug 2, 2021, 1:33:04 AM8/2/21
On 2021-08-02 00:16, Ant wrote:
> JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
>> Simplest is Preview. File -> Import from <name of iPhone> iPhone
>
> Why not use Photos app to import since Apple includes it in its macOS?

Preview also included in every mac. Preview just infort photos as files.
No Database, no indexing nothing. Very simple if what you want are tro
mamage your phone photo files.

As I had mentioned in t=my first post, Photos is available but allows
for much mreo than just importaing photos from iPhone.

Lewis

Aug 2, 2021, 10:56:04 AM8/2/21
In message <v_mdnbcSH8sG7Jr8...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

>> Simplest is Preview. File -> Import from <name of iPhone> iPhone

> Why not use Photos app to import since Apple includes it in its macOS?

Because JF has to find the most awkward and annoying method.

Many far superior methods have been discussed in this thread already.
There is no need to use a third party app at all. In fact, the simplest
option is to simply have Photo Stream enabled and/or wifi sync for your
photos, then everything just works without anyone having to do anything.

--
Try to realize it's all within yourself/No one else can make you
change

Fokke Nauta

Aug 2, 2021, 4:24:07 PM8/2/21
On 30/07/2021 19:40, nospam wrote:
> In article <se1dah$1qhk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nos...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> What did I purposefully helpfully advise the OP that you feel was incorrect?
>
> all you did was rant and troll. that is not in any way helpful.
>
> just about everything you say is incorrect. once in a rare while and
> entirely unintentionally, you might say something that's true, but
> that's the exception, not the rule.

You are a piece of shit.
Please fuck off.

Fokke Nauta

Aug 2, 2021, 4:27:51 PM8/2/21
On 30/07/2021 23:33, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 30.07.21 um 19:05 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
>> Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.
>
> Then tell her to do so. And again: She almost certainly uses iCloud
> without being aware of the fact.
>
>> Fokke
>
> Are you trying to troll here?

She does not use iCloud.
Clear?

Fokke

nospam

Aug 2, 2021, 4:38:53 PM8/2/21
In article <imr2q6...@mid.individual.net>, Fokke Nauta
<use...@solfon.nl> wrote:

> >> Thanks Paul, but she doesn't use iCloud.
> >
> > Then tell her to do so. And again: She almost certainly uses iCloud
> > without being aware of the fact.
> >
> >> Fokke
> >
> > Are you trying to troll here?
> >

> She does not use iCloud.
> Clear?

yes she does. everyone who has an ios device uses icloud to some
extent, which will vary.

which parts of icloud she uses is a separate question, and as noted
above, she probably is unaware she's using it at all.

JF Mezei

Aug 2, 2021, 4:39:23 PM8/2/21
On 2021-08-02 10:56, Lewis wrote:

> Many far superior methods have been discussed in this thread already.
> There is no need to use a third party app at all.

Since when is Preview a 3rd party app?

If the person has no iCloud stuff setup, all those solutions involved a
lot of work just to set things up, especially for a one-shot transfer of
a few photos.

If the person only needs the files, then moving them to "Photos" will
still require the person learn the app enough to get Photos to either
export the photo to a file or show the photo in finder, in which point
in may be in HVEC format whcih they person may not have software to use.

nospam

Aug 2, 2021, 4:43:38 PM8/2/21
In article <_JYNI.8720$nj3....@fx15.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> If the person has no iCloud stuff setup, all those solutions involved a
> lot of work just to set things up, especially for a one-shot transfer of
> a few photos.

where 'a lot of work' is clicking a couple of buttons.

> If the person only needs the files, then moving them to "Photos" will
> still require the person learn the app enough to get Photos to either
> export the photo to a file or show the photo in finder,

there's almost nothing to learn, and since the person is a mac user
already, they most likely are already familiar with photos.

or they can use lightroom or many other photo apps.

iphones show up as a standard digital camera when connected via usb.
nothing special is needed.

> in which point
> in may be in HVEC format whcih they person may not have software to use.

it's 2021. hevc support is widespread.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 2, 2021, 4:52:33 PM8/2/21
Am 02.08.21 um 22:26 schrieb Fokke Nauta:
> She does not use iCloud.
> Clear?

You do not understand iOS. She does use iCloud.

sms

Aug 2, 2021, 7:24:56 PM8/2/21
On 8/2/2021 1:39 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2021-08-02 10:56, Lewis wrote:
>
>> Many far superior methods have been discussed in this thread already.
>> There is no need to use a third party app at all.
>
> Since when is Preview a 3rd party app?

<snip>

Where a third party app is useful is in transferring photos between an
iPhone and a Windows 10 machine.

No one has ever found the root cause behind the dreaded “Device is
unreachable" error which often occurs during large transfers between an
iPhone and a Windows 10 machine
<https://www.copytrans.net/blog/a-device-attached-to-the-system-is-not-functioning/>.

nospam

Aug 2, 2021, 7:35:03 PM8/2/21
In article <se9us6$nm0$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Where a third party app is useful is in transferring photos between an
> iPhone and a Windows 10 machine.

there is *no* need for a third party app to transfer photos between an
iphone and windows or a mac. this is by design.

> No one has ever found the root cause behind the dreaded 蛇evice is
> unreachable" error which often occurs during large transfers between an
> iPhone and a Windows 10 machine

it doesn't 'often occur' and the cause is well understood. it's also
extremely rare.

> <https://www.copytr...

they are hyping up the problem to sell you their crapware, which is not
needed nor is it any good.

Connor Shannon

Aug 2, 2021, 9:13:03 PM8/2/21
I just looked up Photo Stream on the Apple site, it said, "My Photo Stream uploads your most recent photos (except Live Photos) so that you can view and import them to all of your devices. Photos are stored in My Photo Stream for 30 days. iCloud Photos uploads all of your photos and videos to iCloud and keeps them up to date across your devices."

So Photo Stream stores them but doesn't automatically copy them to everything else that's signed in? Except you have to copy photos somewhere before a month or they'll go away? Or maybe they'll still be on the device that took them? Right now I just use iCloud and everything shows up everywhere.

Lewis

Aug 3, 2021, 5:49:28 PM8/3/21
In message <_JYNI.8720$nj3....@fx15.iad> JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-08-02 10:56, Lewis wrote:

>> Many far superior methods have been discussed in this thread already.
>> There is no need to use a third party app at all.

> Since when is Preview a 3rd party app?

Hello snip king. You mentioned a third party app in your post, which I
replied to. that is, as you well know, what I was referring to. Nice
try, Fuck off now.

> If the person has no iCloud stuff setup, all those solutions involved a
> lot of work

Bullshit.

--
At night when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town

Connor Shannon

Aug 4, 2021, 1:04:54 AM8/4/21
I found a setting on my iPhone that says "Photos from other devices can be viewed in the My Photo Stream Album but are not automatically saved to your library." So I guess it isn't like iCloud like I"m already using where everything shows up in the library on every device automatically. Also like the Apple website says it's only the last 30 days of photos. So I don't like the idea of them going away. If any body knows more please tell me.

RonTheGuy

Aug 4, 2021, 9:58:28 AM8/4/21
On Aug 04, 2021, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article<news:imvjc2...@mid.individual.net>):
> So those who want their photos to be synchronized to all of their
> devices without subscribing to iCloud Photos can use My Photo Stream to
> get the same effect.

My Photo Stream is the way to go.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Connor Shannon

Aug 4, 2021, 11:47:57 AM8/4/21
Hi, Ron why do you like Photo Stream better than icloud Photos?

(Maybe there's more in what you quoted from "Jolly Roger" but I can't find his posting.)

Jolly Roger

Aug 4, 2021, 2:57:55 PM8/4/21
On 2021-08-04, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe there's more in what you quoted from "Jolly Roger" but I can't find his posting.

That's because you are using Google Groups rather than an actual Usenet
client. Try using a real news client instead. This one comes with a free
7-day trial:

<https://www.usenapp.com>

JR

Jolly Roger

Aug 4, 2021, 2:59:17 PM8/4/21
On 2021-08-04, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's my post again, just for you (but please use a real news client -
Google Groups sucks ass):

If you are already a subscriber to iCloud Photos, then you have no need
for My Photo Stream, since your photos are already accessible on all of
your devices.

* iCloud Photos is *not* a free service though.
* My Photo Stream *is* a free service.

So those who want their photos to be synchronized to all of their
devices without subscribing to iCloud Photos can use My Photo Stream to
get the same effect.

Photos synchronized to your other devices with My Photo Stream *are*
added to your photo library and *don't* go away after 30 days. Photos
older than 30 days are not synchronized with this service. But all *new*
photos are synchronized, and as long as you have My Photo Stream
enabled, they will continue to be synchronized to all of your devices.

Again, with My Photo Stream, new photos (up to 30 days ago) *are* added
to your library but are *not* deleted after 30 days. Even if you disable
My Photo Stream, those photos remain in your library.

Connor Shannon

Aug 4, 2021, 10:07:08 PM8/4/21
Thank you "Jolly Roger." I don't ever remember paying for iCloud Photos but as long as its working I won't say anything and maybe Apple won't notice. :)

Google Groups works okay for me, I don't use Groups much, but thanks for the suggestion I'll think about it.